Mom’s Stuffed Celery a.k.a Celery Crack (Ketogenic, low-carb)

I would love to take the time to find out what I can do to bond with my readers; kind of a heart-to-heart. I am on a journey to healthier lifestyle, what would you guys like to see more of? Journey to healthier me articles, recipes? What kind of recipes are you likely to try and enjoy reading about? Help me give you more of the kind of recipes YOU are looking for.

I am trying to find my happy medium with Paleo (which is like a fancy name for a low-carb natural foods diet) and the foods that agree well with my body (for instance cheese and dairy do not bother me and I occasionally will have a recipe with butter, cream or cheese which are certainly not “Paleo,”). I’m considering a domain/blog name change for this reason. I am working with my doctor who is able to help me pinpoint those foods which specifically work well with me. I think it would be silly to NOT eat something just because it doesn’t fit in a Paleo shaped box, but is nutritious and simple in ingredients.

I digress….

Rant aside, I’d like to share this amazing recipe which I would deem a high-protein-low-carb snack or an appetizer. These stuffed celery stalks are like a little bite of heaven and if I were trying to impress company, I would definitely pull out the big guns and go for these guys. My mom gave me the bones for this recipe and due to the ingredients or lack thereof in my pantry, the recipe morphed into something I am very happy with!

Have you ever forgotten a bunch of celery in the fridge only to pull out the bunch and several stalks are bent over looking sad and discouraged? Well another thing my mom taught me was that if you cut the end off of the celery and stick it in water in the fridge (like fresh flowers) for a few hours that it will revive the celery (depending on how neglected your poor celery has become) and you can use it in your veggie tray or raw application as needed. Hooray!

Here, I’ll show you……

This happened to me, as you can see, and the celery revived. LIVE LIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!! Phew, I was so relieved. I hate wasting food. This same mother that taught me this trick was also the one who reminded me frequently about those starving children in Africa……ok Mom, ok….no celery left behind!!!

Stuffed Celery Crack

1 bunch of celery washed and cut into about 4″ pieces (or smaller, there’s really a lot of room for personalization here)

1-8oz block of cream cheese softened

1 cup chopped dill pickles (chopped finely, you may also use dill relish) + 1 tbsp of the juice

1/2 tsp salt

6 crispy uncured bacon strips, chopped finely + 3 tbsp of the grease (or mayo if this weirds you out, but trust me its goood)

3/4 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp parsely

3/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp dried or fresh dill

Mix all ingredients below celery together well, then with a spoon begin filling each stalk very well and sprinkle with the dill.

Optional would be, my mom always did 1/2 chopped olives, 1/2 chopped pickles and without the bacon, this is what I had on hand.

My mom always served these before a party as an appetizer and many times they were gone before they were finished being made. Nice try Mom :*

What are your favorite appetizers? What would you like to see next? Please like and share and let me know if you decide to give these a whirl!!

Advertisements

20 Comments Add yours

1. Jess Wen says:

I love the name change, it really suits your content! And the celery looks absolutely delicious… Btw I’ve nominated you for the Blogger Recognition award, which you can check out here: http://bit.ly/recogDTJ

1. momnomsweb says:

Thank you for the nomination, that is so kind of you!

1. Jess Wen says:

You’re very welcome, I’m a huge fan of good homemade food 😉

2. Chris says:

Oooh, I bet these would be good with some bagel mix too. I put that stuff on everything. Lol Thanks for the idea, looks delicious!

1. Paleomomnoms says:

That sounds amazing! Thanks for the creative idea, I’m going to have to try that!

3. Dale D says:

Good day.
    I do a lot of cooking. Thank you for the wonderful sounding recipe. Trying different low carb options for my health.

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Wonderful, so glad you enjoy the recipe!

4. Cristie says:

I made a similar recipe, celery, bacon, cream cheese, craisins and pecan. The sweet salt and crunch was a magical combination.

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Oh my word, that does sound glorious. Thanksgiving appetizers anyone?

5. Laura LaFontsee says:

This is Fantastic! We made Cloud Bread and this became the spread for the bread then loaded with diced tomatoes and mushrooms..Kudos to your Mom and you for sharing this amazing recipe. I did try yogurt for the base. Nope. Not a Good substitute.

Favorite: ritz crackers with cheese chunks and olives..can you healthy that up?

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Oh my word, that sounds amazing! I know there is a cheese cracker recipe on my blog if you search it and I could see doing some mozz and Kalamata olives with them!?!

6. Kim says:

Yummmmm. Thanks for sharing I’m going to try this…maybe dice up jalapenos..mmmm

7. Michelle B Evje says:

This is very good! We like it with hydroponic cucumbers.

Liked by 1 person

8. I’m going to try this. I have a Blood Clotting Disease, so I can’t eat a lot of green foods, which I really miss. I still find that a Homemade Gluten Free Diet is a healthier diet.

1. Paleomomnoms says:

I hope you like it! Wow, I’m sure it is a big challenge finding foods to suit your needs, hope you have great success!!

9. Angela says:

I wasn’t sure about the pickles but wow it works! Love it. I need more low carb sweets. For a husband that is a serious sweet addict. Thank you

10. Heidi says:

Good Morning
    I’m trying this tonight. I am a FASTer Way To Fat Loss. Coach. Which is a whole food nutrition, intermittent fasting, carb cycling, exercise program with exercises. So on my low carb days I’m always looking for these types of snacks. I’m pinning this for my clients. Thanks. Keep it up
    Heidi