Mom’s Stuffed Celery a.k.a Celery Crack (Ketogenic, low-carb)

I would love to take the time to find out what I can do to bond with my readers; kind of a heart-to-heart. I am on a journey to healthier lifestyle, what would you guys like to see more of? Journey to healthier me articles, recipes? What kind of recipes are you likely to try and enjoy reading about? Help me give you more of the kind of recipes YOU are looking for.

I am trying to find my happy medium with Paleo (which is like a fancy name for a low-carb natural foods diet) and the foods that agree well with my body (for instance cheese and dairy do not bother me and I occasionally will have a recipe with butter, cream or cheese which are certainly not “Paleo,”). I’m considering a domain/blog name change for this reason. I am working with my doctor who is able to help me pinpoint those foods which specifically work well with me. I think it would be silly to NOT eat something just because it doesn’t fit in a Paleo shaped box, but is nutritious and simple in ingredients.

I digress….

Rant aside, I’d like to share this amazing recipe which I would deem a high-protein-low-carb snack or an appetizer. These stuffed celery stalks are like a little bite of heaven and if I were trying to impress company, I would definitely pull out the big guns and go for these guys. My mom gave me the bones for this recipe and due to the ingredients or lack thereof in my pantry, the recipe morphed into something I am very happy with!

Have you ever forgotten a bunch of celery in the fridge only to pull out the bunch and several stalks are bent over looking sad and discouraged? Well another thing my mom taught me was that if you cut the end off of the celery and stick it in water in the fridge (like fresh flowers) for a few hours that it will revive the celery (depending on how neglected your poor celery has become) and you can use it in your veggie tray or raw application as needed. Hooray!

Here, I’ll show you……

This happened to me, as you can see, and the celery revived. LIVE LIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!! Phew, I was so relieved. I hate wasting food. This same mother that taught me this trick was also the one who reminded me frequently about those starving children in Africa……ok Mom, ok….no celery left behind!!!

Stuffed Celery Crack

1 bunch of celery washed and cut into about 4″ pieces (or smaller, there’s really a lot of room for personalization here)

1-8oz block of cream cheese softened

1 cup chopped dill pickles (chopped finely, you may also use dill relish) + 1 tbsp of the juice

1/2 tsp salt

6 crispy uncured bacon strips, chopped finely + 3 tbsp of the grease (or mayo if this weirds you out, but trust me its goood)

3/4 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp parsely

3/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp dried or fresh dill

Mix all ingredients below celery together well, then with a spoon begin filling each stalk very well and sprinkle with the dill.

Optional would be, my mom always did 1/2 chopped olives, 1/2 chopped pickles and without the bacon, this is what I had on hand.

My mom always served these before a party as an appetizer and many times they were gone before they were finished being made. Nice try Mom :*

What are your favorite appetizers? What would you like to see next? Please like and share and let me know if you decide to give these a whirl!!

Advertisements

44 Comments Add yours

1. Jess Wen says:

I love the name change, it really suits your content! And the celery looks absolutely delicious… Btw I’ve nominated you for the Blogger Recognition award, which you can check out here: http://bit.ly/recogDTJ

1. momnomsweb says:

Thank you for the nomination, that is so kind of you!

1. Jess Wen says:

You’re very welcome, I’m a huge fan of good homemade food 😉

2. Chris says:

Oooh, I bet these would be good with some bagel mix too. I put that stuff on everything. Lol Thanks for the idea, looks delicious!

1. Paleomomnoms says:

That sounds amazing! Thanks for the creative idea, I’m going to have to try that!

3. Dale D says:

Good day.
    I do a lot of cooking. Thank you for the wonderful sounding recipe. Trying different low carb options for my health.

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Wonderful, so glad you enjoy the recipe!

4. Cristie says:

I made a similar recipe, celery, bacon, cream cheese, craisins and pecan. The sweet salt and crunch was a magical combination.

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Oh my word, that does sound glorious. Thanksgiving appetizers anyone?

5. Laura LaFontsee says:

This is Fantastic! We made Cloud Bread and this became the spread for the bread then loaded with diced tomatoes and mushrooms..Kudos to your Mom and you for sharing this amazing recipe. I did try yogurt for the base. Nope. Not a Good substitute.

Favorite: ritz crackers with cheese chunks and olives..can you healthy that up?

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Oh my word, that sounds amazing! I know there is a cheese cracker recipe on my blog if you search it and I could see doing some mozz and Kalamata olives with them!?!

6. Kim says:

Yummmmm. Thanks for sharing I’m going to try this…maybe dice up jalapenos..mmmm

7. Michelle B Evje says:

This is very good! We like it with hydroponic cucumbers.

Liked by 1 person

8. I’m going to try this. I have a Blood Clotting Disease, so I can’t eat a lot of green foods, which I really miss. I still find that a Homemade Gluten Free Diet is a healthier diet.

1. Paleomomnoms says:

I hope you like it! Wow, I’m sure it is a big challenge finding foods to suit your needs, hope you have great success!!

9. Angela says:

I wasn’t sure about the pickles but wow it works! Love it. I need more low carb sweets. For a husband that is a serious sweet addict. Thank you

10. Heidi says:

Good Morning
    I’m trying this tonight. I am a FASTer Way To Fat Loss. Coach. Which is a whole food nutrition, intermittent fasting, carb cycling, exercise program with exercises. So on my low carb days I’m always looking for these types of snacks. I’m pinning this for my clients. Thanks. Keep it up
    Heidi

11. Jean says:

I am having the same struggles as you are with the paleo diet. I can’t seem to give up cheese 🧀 I wish someone would come up with a CheesyPaleo🤗

12. Lisa says:

Green olives or black?

13. Claudia L Major says:

It would be nice if you had a way to print just the recipe.

14. Jan says:

Quick low carb snacks with items most people have in their kitchen, but do not think to put together. This stuff sounds great!

15. Kathleen says:

The celery sticks were yummy. I halved the recipe because it’s just me eating. Looking forward to more of your recipes.

16. Simone Fleming says:

Ok – so there is no such thing as too much bacon, but I thought why not give smoked salmon a try with this recipe and …. seriously delish!!! Thanks for the recipe and try the salmon as well. Both are wonderful!

That sounds amazing!!

17. Kelli says:

I love this stuffed celery. I’d love more afternoon snack/ appetizers ideas.

18. jamieinwyoming says:

OH.MY.GAWD….I made this for a party this weekend and WOWSERS!!! Crack it is! Thank you for sharing the recipe. We have recently turned LCHF (own a confectionery, no WAY I can do keto, lol) And hubby and I have already lost almost 10 pounds each, after only 2 weeks. You have a new fan/stalker. 🙂 Sincerely, JamieInWyoming http://www.mullendorefarm.com

YES!!! Stalker stamp of approval 😂😂😂👍🏻

19. Nelle says:

Did you know that there is no such thing as “uncured” meats because they use the same compound in uncured and cured meats. It’s a practice recognized by Canada, but it is not officially recognized by the USDA. Look at the ingredients label there is a disclaimer that states something like…. only naturally occurring nitrites in celery powder, celery juice or sea salt.

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Wow, that’s interesting. I’d have to vet that for myself because I don’t trust the USDA anyway. Their standards often fall short of ideal.

20. Jessica Coffelt says:

Tried this recipe and it’s a great option for Keto. Some of my kids even loved it. I had it the next day for a snack and through on some “Everything but the bagel” seasoning and it took it to a new level. Thanks for the great recipe!!

That sounds amazing!!

21. Linda says:

Do you have a carb count on this? Looks delicious!

1. Paleomomnoms says:

I imagine that it’d be around 1 carb per serving so I’m not too worried about the carb count. It’s essentially several of the lowest carb ingredients you could consume put together 🙂

22. OneCaringMom says:

This looks amazing. I never would’ve thought to stuff celery before, but as a celery-lover, I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for sharing!

1. Paleomomnoms says:

Absolutely! I’m a huge celery fan too!

23. BCass says:

This looks delicious!! I struggle with what to call my eating lifestyle as well. I eat low carb, but do not eat high fat, and incorporate more nuts, berries and veggies than a typical “keto” diet, but I also use cheese in a lot of things, which is not typically “paleo”. It’s tough having to label everything!! I just try and stay low on my carbs, and all natural (which I think includes cheese and dairy, because if we can eat meat, we can eat other animal product!). For that, I second the name change, and I also am glad I stumbled upon this recipe, and your page!

24. Laura says:

This sounds delicious, but I can’t have dill. What would you suggest to replace the relish & dill? Onions and onion powder, maybe?

1. Paleomomnoms says:

I’d just omit it and not worry too much…although onion powder is almost never a bad idea!

25. Martha Mc Ardle says:

I make my Great Aunties stuffed celery. Cream cheese, crumbled blue cheese, sliced green olives and chopped walnuts